Monday, May 21, 2012

big beautiful brook

Day three we all went into Franklin to spend the day. After walking around downtown and eating a wonderful lunch at the motor city grill we went to the tuckaseegee river for a little fly fishing. I was not very successful but Johnny caught a brown trout finishing off all three trout species in the area. The camera was still drying out so there are no pictures. Day four was Johnnys last day of fishing so we went back to the nantahala. We fished the same stretch from day two. On Johnny's last day of fishing I took first fish honors, a good size brook. At the next small hole I caught a rainbow, a brown, and five Brooks. There was a submerged rock ledge that I was sure held a fish but I had cast it many times with no luck. I finally changed positions for a slower drift. On the first cast a large brook trout rose and took my fly. He pulled drag and took me down river. I let him run and fought him for several mins. When I got him to the net he barely fit in. He was a very dark and beautiful trout. He measured out at 16 and half inches. Definitely the highlight of my trip. I got one more rainbow. Johnny landed two more nice rainbows to end his trip. We left early so he and Destiny could start their long trip back to Florida.

No comments: